The first in our series of blog posts to celebrate International Women’s Day and our Inspiring Women volunteers is from Alex Paske! Alex is the Managing Director of Mintridge Events Ltd. and has been volunteering with us since January 2015.
‘My name is Alex Paske and I am an “Inspiring the Future” volunteer.
At a young age, I was inspired by my sporting role model, Jonny Wilkinson, for his meticulous outlook on training and huge desires to work for his team and become the very best.
I have become an “Inspiring the Future” volunteer because to me, Jonny was amongst a pool of male role models that I looked up to growing up and I am very keen to alter the gender gap and increase the number of female role models available for young people.
The advice I would give for someone looking to start their own business or charity, should remember the following:
1) Your dream job does not exist, you must create it!
- Build your contact base.
- Always deliver your maximum! Be proactive, you can always strive to be doing more!
2) Create short term targets to achieve your long term goals!
- Success takes time and lots of mistakes!
- Be stubborn about your goals but flexible about your methods. Believe in yourself and trust your instinct!
3) Enjoy the journey and not just the destination!
- Enjoy your day to day work.
- Surround yourself with talented and positive people that understand your cause.
- Ensure you have a work / life balance.
You will undoubtedly have to overcome challenges on your journey to success, and it is how you deal with them that is important. Without my challenges, I wouldn’t be in the strong position that I am in today.
I have battled mental health issues following dropping out of university and not being selected for a national sporting team; both of which I have dreamed of from a very early age. I have battled a series of setbacks since starting Mintridge which include negativity from potential clients and investors – it only makes you believe in your vision more and I am happy that I have been through it all. Although, I probably wouldn’t have said that at the time!
I am looking forward to plenty more “Inspiring The Future” events as I hope to make a small impact on a young person’s career journey, allowing them to discover that there are plenty of routes to the top!’